How to select / Storage methods
Choose New Zealand Buttercup Squash that have:
- A firm skin. Press firmly all over to make sure the rind isn’t soft (a sign of immaturity or over maturity or improper storage.)
- Look for a good strong colors-the skin color should not look washed out. Dark green coloured skin with a yellow/orange ground spot. Dark orange flesh.
- Heavy in size
- Free of blemishes or mouldy spots.
- Earliest signs of decay can often be seen as a softening of the skin around the stem of the fruit.
- Store in a cool, preferably dark, well-ventilated area for up to one month at 12°C
- Wrap cut pieces in plastic and refrigerate up to seven days
- Store uncut in a cool, dry area up to 3 months
- NZ Buttercup Squash is ethylene sensitive- keep away from ethylene producing fruits and ripening rooms
- Do not store below 10°C